Twisted Road Policies




Last Updated: October 10, 2017






Only Twisted Road Approved Riders can book and drive a motorcycle during a Twisted Road trip. To be an “Approved Rider” means that the member has provided and updated all required documentation, continues to meet all Twisted Road eligibility requirements, and is currently in good standing. 


Only the Approved Rider who rented the motorcycle may operate it - no other drivers are eligible to operate the motorcycle for any reason.


Engaging in any of the “Prohibited Uses” set forth below with a vehicle rented through Twisted Road will be grounds for fines, suspension and/or cancellation of your membership.  It will also lower the renter's liability coverage to state minimum limits or nullify coverage completely where allowable by applicable state law; if the owner has encouraged the engagement in a Prohibited Use, their coverage may be similarly reduced. Engaging in any Prohibited Uses will also eliminate any coverage for the renter for any claims related to physical damage.  


 Prohibited Uses include:







While we reserve the right to decline membership for any reason, including auto insurance score, criminal background check, and driving history, the following are the minimum eligibility requirements:







The only way for you to be able to rent a bike from us if you reside outside of the United States, is if you satisfy the following TWO conditions:


  1. You must have insurance that covers you on a rented motorcycle in the United States
  2. You must have an acceptable licenses from one of these countries:


If you reside outside of the United States, or if you don’t have a US motorcycle endorsement, here are the other acceptable licenses:


Licenses issued in the European Union (Germany, Italy, France, United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland):



Licenses issued in Iceland:



Licenses issued in Canada:



Licenses issued in Australia:



Licenses issued from Brazil:


Licenses issued from New Zealand:


International Driver’s Permits:







Traveler Cancellation. Travelers may cancel their trip through our site or mobile app, and the cancellation is effective immediately. Currently, there are no cancellation fees, nor will there be any credits or refunds issued for early returns.


Late Fees.  If traveler returns the motorcycle after the specified return time, traveler will be charged a late fee of $50/hour, up to a maximum of $300.


Contract violation. If you as a traveler violate any of the terms of this policy or the Terms and Conditions, you will be fined no less than $750. This includes performing any and all stunts, allowing another person to ride the bike, or any other violation of our Policies.




In some cases, we require a security deposit before you may drive the motorcycle. If your payment card is a debit card, this amount will be deducted from your account; if it is a credit card, the amount will be pre-authorized. In each case, this will usually happen when you initially rent the motorcycle. However, if the trip is scheduled to start more than a week after the time you’ve paid for the motorcycle, the security deposit will be charged seven days prior to the start of the trip; if the security deposit fails, your trip will be automatically cancelled.


If a security deposit is required, we will notify you when you pay for the trip. If you do not wish to proceed, you will not be charged this deposit.


This deposit will be credited back to you 72 hours after you return the motorcycle in the condition that you first rented it. Depending on your bank and the means of payment, it may take up to seven business days after we release the deposit for the funds to become available in your account. Credit cards will usually show a swifter return of the funds.






Only motorcycles legally registered in the United States are eligible for listing. We recommend that the vehicle must be model year 2000 or newer and have fewer than 50,000 miles/75,000 kilometers. We require that the vehicle have a clean (e.g., not a "branded" or "salvage") title, have never been declared a total loss, and have a fair market value of up to USD$15,000 in the US or CA$20,000 in Canada.


Motorcycles that are older than model year 1990 can't have a market value greater than $10,000. The motorcycle must be in excellent condition (both mechanical and physical) and be in excellent working condition. 


Please note that you are solely responsible for knowing your vehicle history prior to listing your motorcycle. We recommend that you check and verify your vehicle history prior to listing your vehicle.


The following is an illustrative list of vehicles which are ineligible for listing: scooters, dirt bikes, trikes, cars, SUVs, passenger vans, cargo vans, box trucks, limousines, recreational vehicles (RVs), vehicles requiring a commercial license to operate legally on public roads, vehicles designed primarily for off-road use (e.g., dirt bikes), farm equipment, construction equipment, GEM or similar vehicles not designed for highway use.






Roadside Assistance Coverage provides towing and roadside assistance by Twisted Road or an approved vendor if your motorcycle becomes inoperable. The benefits include emergency road service towing (within 30 miles of occurrence) and emergency fuel delivery (up to 2 gallons). In purchasing the Roadside Assistance Coverage, we will waive the cost of any approved tow or road side assistance service up to the amount of $500/USD per incident.






At the time of the trip, both the owner and the renter should fully walk around and inspect the motorcycle and agree on any existing damage, as well as the general condition of the motorcycle. Any damage present at the end of the reservation is presumed to be the responsibility of the renter, so the renter should clearly document any pre-existing damage at the beginning of the reservation.


At the time of return, the owner and renter should do another walk around the vehicle and agree that the motorcycle was returned in the same condition.  If there is any new damage, it is the renter’s responsibility. The renter and owner should discuss whether it merits reporting to Twisted Road, or if it is sufficiently minor that something can be worked out between the owner and the renter.


If the owner believes that he or she may want to pursue a claim, the owner must report it to Twisted Road within 24 hours after the end of reservation (or within 24 hours after learning of it from the renter, whichever is earlier), or it will not be eligible for consideration. Photographs must be taken and submitted to Twisted Road within the first 24 hours after the end of the reservation for the claim to be eligible for coverage.


If a renter discovers damage from the trip, he or she must report it to the owner and/or Twisted Road immediately.  The renter should NOT take the motorcycle to a repair shop without written permission from the owner.


Accidents: If the rented vehicle is involved in an accident, the renter must report it to the owner and/or Twisted Road immediately. The renter must file a police report and provide the report number when available.




We require all riders to comply with local, state, and federal laws regarding the use of a DOT approved motorcycle helmet.  Although owners are strongly encouraged to provide helmets for their riders, the absence of an “owner-provided helmet” is not an excuse for the renter’s failure to comply with state and/or local laws.  Riders are free to wear their own helmets if they choose.